Home Shtetl Life Holocaust Landsmanshaftn History Photos Videos
Maps Trips Surnames Researchers Links Guest Book Contact

History of Radzilow

Courtesy of the Radzilow Primary School
Note: You must have Central European (CE) fonts installed to view the diacritical marks correctly in the Polish version.

Editor's Note: This is a translation of the original Polish text exactly as given to me by the Radzilow Primary School. I do not vouch for the accuracy of the historical accounts, especially the section dealing with the events surrounding WWII. There is also very little mention of the events of the Holocaust, and what is written is in direct contradiction to the recent revelations in Radzilow that the Poles were responsible for the murder of the town's Jews on July 7, 1941. It's interesting, but not unexpected, that the accounts focus on the tragedies of the Polish population during WWII. By comparison, the murder of up to 800 of the town's Jews in a single day is given perfunctory treatment. For more information on this subject, please go to the Holocaust Section.

English Translation (Original Polish Text Follows):

Previously a city, now a village, and the seat of the District's Town Council of the District of Grajewo, it is located at the mouth of the rivers Slucz and Wissa in the southwestern part of the district, 27 km from Grajewo. In the past, Radzilow was an important center as seat of a District Court, which was established in 1548 until the third partitioning of Poland. Presently, Radzilow still remains as a blueprint of city design with a spacious Market Square in the center.

In the XIII century, the regions around Biebrza, Elk and Wissa rivers were situated at the border of the Polish and pagan Jacwing [Jadzwingians] tribe territories. This was called the Wizka Territory and had multiple fortifications. Later it was divided into the Wizna, Radzilow and Wasosz districts. Radzilow was established in the proximity of an early Middle Ages settlement (the preserved settlement of Pienki-Grodzisko), at the passage of the Kubra [Kubrzanka] and Wissa rivers, along the route from Mazowsze to Prussia and Grodno. In 1444 the village of Radzilow belonged to Maciej Konopka. Before 1462 prince Wladyslaw took it along with 168 hectares of land. The princes of Mazowsze, Konrad III, Boleslaw V and Janusz II gave city rights to Radzilow in 1466. In the XVI century Radzilow covered 1058 hectares with flourmills and steel-mills in the proximity. In 1564 Radzilow had 309 houses with 1827 inhabitants. After the Swedish Deluge only 40 houses with 100 inhabitants remained. In 1779 there were 85 houses with 435 inhabitants; in 1827 there were 101 houses with 784 inhabitants, and in 1858 there were 1539 inhabitants, among them 658 were Jews. Farming was the main occupation of the citizens of Radzilow. Radzilow lost its city rights in 1869. In 1921 Radzilow had 259 houses with 1983 inhabitants. Brickyards, flourmills and oil-mills were active in Radzilow between 1918 and 1939.

Before the 2nd World War Radzilow had two Jewish schools. Near one of the schools a Jewish cemetery was located. All were completely destroyed during the 2nd World War.

On September 1st 1939, Hitler's Germany attacked Poland. On September 6th and 7th the Polish Army withdrew from the District into a defense line along the Biebrza and Narew rivers. The attacking German Army committed many atrocities. On September 7th squads of the 20th Division under general Wiktorin entered Radzilow. On the first tank, Germans placed a Polish policeman named Noga. When the tanks entered the Market Square, German soldiers machine-gunned the quietly standing 45-year-old shoemaker Kazimierz Kosmowski. The German occupation was short-lived; on September 21st the Germans retreated toward a previously established demarcation line and Russians took over. Shortly after, though, the Germans counter-attacked the Soviet Union, and the District was again under German occupation.

In the beginning, the Germans were particularly cruel in dealing with the Jewish population. Starting at the end of June, through July and August of 1941, in the District of Grajewo, the Einstatzcommando 8 was active under Karl Strohammer. Murders by this group were directed toward the Jewish population of Radzilow. One day they came to town driving trucks. They drove all the Jews: men, women and children, from their houses into the market square. Then they locked them in Sutkowski's barn. The Germans poured gasoline over the building and set it on fire. People inside were crying and shouting. About 650 people were killed on that day. A commemorative plaque has been placed at that location.

In August of 1941, after the transfer of power of territories occupied by the Wehrmacht to a civil administration, Amtskomissariat Radzilow was established. Berth was the Amtskomissar, Schultz was his agricultural deputy. Otto Wider from Magdeburg became a Military Police commander. His subordinates were a carpenter Josef Starck, a tailor Hans Staroscik, Hohn and Hille from Sudeten and Simnowitz. The names of other military policemen could not be established. Within the Amtskomissariat territory they murdered at least 26 persons. They imprisoned, or sent to concentration camps, 49 people, of whom at least 27 died. 119 people were sent to the Third Reich for forced labor and digging trenches, among them 12 died in Germany.

Maksym Feliks Jonkajtys (Radzilow teacher and school principal) and his wife
Felicja (nee Czerepowicz) Jonkajtys


These are only a few examples of crimes committed by the military police. In 1943, policemen Hans Hohn and Hans Starosciak murdered Adam Zalc from Szczuczyn. On the 22nd of July 1944, policemen Hohn and Josef Starck arrested Antoni Brzostowski from Rydzewo Pieniazek on the bridge in Dzierwany. They transported him with his brother Aleksander to Radzilow and executed both of them in a gravel-pit. In 1943, on the road from Radzilow to Karwowo, they murdered two Soviet captives with still unknown names. On the 9th of July 1944 on the road near village of Zebry, they murdered Jan Sierbinski, age 18, a farmer Jozef Karwowski, age 40, and a teacher from Szczuczyn, Maksym Jonkajtys, age 30. The bodies were buried at the scene. After the war, they were exhumed and buried at the cemeteries in Wasosz and Szczuczyn.

The most appalling brutality was demonstrated in the treatment of the Czarnecki family from Slucz. While taken from their home, the family was told to pack for evacuation. Then they were taken to Radzilow and after spending the night in jail they were transported to the forest near the village of Zebry, where Kazimierz and his wife Irena were executed. Their 1-year-old daughter Wanda was killed by blows with a shovel to her head. Their bodies were buried at the scene. In the village of Slucz, 20-year-old Czeslaw Lenda, who was trying to avoid deportation for forced labor, was arrested by the military police. He was brutally beaten and shortly thereafter died from his injures. From Slucz, policemen took 15 men to concentration camps and prisons; only one survived and returned. Among the murdered were school principal Wladyslaw Sypniewski, a farm owner, Witold Chojnowski, and a shoemaker, Stanislaw Krajewski. At least 39 men were taken from this village for forced labor in the Third Reich and to dig trenches. Among them six died in Germany and one died shortly after he returned. Also, 15 hostages were taken from Slucz. They were released after three months of imprisonment in Bialystok. Hostages were also taken from other villages. From the village of Mscichy, 54 men were deported for forced labor, among them, four died. Great numbers of people deported into the Third Reich depleted the villages of their most valuable, young workers. Similar deportations took place in many other villages. On the 21st of July 1944 in Rydzewo Pieniazek, policemen from Radzilow executed Tadeusz Wysocki, age 17, Apolinary Petkowski, age 32, and Franciszek Samelka, age 50. In December of the same year they killed farmer Mieczyslaw Tomaszewski, age 33. From the village of Borawskie, one man was killed and two others died in concentration camps.

Until recently Radzilow had a baroque wooden church which was built in 1793. In 1982 the church (with a bell tower built in the second part of XVIII century) was relocated to the neighboring village of Kramarzewo. A contemporary, brick church that was built from 1978 to1985 replacing the old church. It's a two level building with a 45-meter tower and contemporary looking altars. The old Stations of the Cross were preserved.

On November 11th 1990 the restored Independence Monument was unveiled. From the original monument only the obelisk remained. The eagle, one of the major elements of the monument, disappeared during the war (possibly taken by local communists), and the plaque was hidden, so the occupants would not learn the names of the Polish Legions members and their families. Due to the efforts of local community, a Monument Restoration Committee was formed, with Franciszek Wysocki, Henryk Karwowski, Ryszard Sosnowski and Jozef Trzonkowski as members. The lost eagle was recreated based on information from Andrzej Wisniewski, at present the Warsaw resident, who was a founder of the original monument. Additional financial support came from a chief of the local community: Kazimierz Gwiazdowski.

Another historical St. Barbara church was built during the second part of the XVIII century. It contains precious late Middle Ages Mazovian statues (St. George and St. Mary Asleep) dating from the end of XV century. Closer analysis of these statues indicates similarities with statues from St. Mary's Altar by Vit Stwosz. Thus it is believed that the sculptor came to Radzilow from the Vit Stwosz School, or possibly the sculptures were delivered from Krakow.

The most important historical artifact is Radzilow's urban design with its defensive character. Streets leading to the Market Square are not straight, but turn a 90-degree angle before reaching the square. The purpose of such a design was to slow down attacking cavalry, making it safer for the defending townspeople.

Polish Text:

Dawne miasto, obecnie wieś, siedziba GRN w pow.grajewskim, leży przy ujściu rzeki Słuczy i Wissy w południowo-wschodniej części powiatu, w odległości 27 km od Grajewa. W przeszłości Radziłów był znacznym miastem, siedzibą sądu ziemskiego i pow.radziłowskiego w ziemi wiskiej, istniejącego od 1548 r. do III rozbioru. Do obecnych czasów zachował miejskie rozplanowanie z dużym rynkiem jako ośrodkiem zabudowy.

Jeszcze w XIII wieku tereny leżące między rzekami Biebrzą, Ełkiem i Wissą leżały na granicy Polski i Jaćwingów. Była to pograniczna Ziemia Wizka, umocniona licznymi grodami obronnymi zbudowanymi z drzewa. Z czasem podzielono ją na powiaty: Wizna, Radziłów i Wąsosz. Radziłów powstał w pobliżu wczesnośredniowiecznego grodu (zachowane grodzisko we wsi Pieńki-Grodzisko), u przeprawy przez Kubrę i Wissę na drodze z Mazowsza do Prus i do Grodna.W 1444 r. wieś Radziłowo była własnością Macieja Konopki, a przed 1462 r. Władysław, książe płocki i wiski, przejął od niego Radziłów z 10 włókami ziemi. Nadania praw miejskich dokonali ksiażęta mazowieccy: Konrad III, Kazimierz III, Bolesław V i Janusz II, w 1466 r. W XVI w. miasto obejmowało 63 włóki ziemi; pod miastem znajdował się młyn na Słuczy oraz ruda, czyli huta żelaza.W 1482 r. została erygowana parafia. W 1494 w Radziłowie było 49 mieszczan z rodzinami. Przywileje nadające miastu ziemię, łąki ze wsią Mścichy i las spłonęły w czasie wojny szwedzkiej; potwierdził je Stanisław August w 1776 r. Rozkwit miejscowości należącej do starostwa wiskiego nastąpił w XVI w., a upadek w XVII w.W 1564 Radziłów liczył 309 domów i 1854 mieszkańców, a po najeździe szwedzkim tylko 40 domów i zaledwie 100 mieszkańców. W 1779 r. miał 85 domów z 435 mieszkańcami. W 1827 r. było tu 101 domów i 784 mieszkańców, w 1858 roku 14 domy drewniane 1539 mieszkańców (658 Żydów). Dochód kasy miejskiej w 1858 roku wynosił 407 rs. 32 kop., ubezpieczenie domów od ognia 20,950 rs.. Odbywało się tutaj 5 jarmarków. Ludność trudniła się rolnictwem. Prawa miejskie cofnięto w 1869 r. W 1921 r. Radziłów liczył 259 domów i 1983 mieszkańców. W okresie międzywojennym były w nim cegielnie, młyny i olejarnia.

Przed II wojną światową istniały w Radziłowie dwie szkoły żydowskie. W poblizu obecnego budynku szkoły znajdował się kirkut - cmentarz żydowski, który w czasie ostatniej wojny został doszczętnie zniszczony.

1 września 1939 r. Niemcy hitlerowskie rozpoczęły agresję na Polskę. W dniach 6 i 7 września wojska polskie wycofały się z obszarów powiatu na linię obrony przebiegającą wzdłuż Biebrzy i Narwi. Wojska hitlerowskie wkraczając na obszary powiatu dokonały tu wielu zbrodni na ludności cywilnej. 7 września na terenie Radziłowa pojawiły się oddziały 20 dywizji dowodzonej przez gen.por. Wiktorina. Na pierwszym, wjeżdżającym do Radziłowa, czołgu Niemcy umieścili polskiego policjanta Nogę. Kiedy pojazdy pancerne pojawiły się na rynku, żołnierze niemieccy serią strzałów z karabinu maszynowego pozbawili życia stojącego spokojnie mężczyznę w wieku około 45 lat - szewca Kazimierza Kosmowskiego. Okupacja niemiecka nie trwała długo. Już 21 września wojska hitlerowskie rozpoczęły odwrót na ustaloną ze Związkiem Radzieckim linię demarkacyjną. Rozpoczęła się okupacja sowiecka. Po agresji Niemiec na ZSRR nasz powiat znalazł się ponownie pod okupacją niemiecką

Na początku okupacji Niemcy obeszli się szczególnie okrutnie z ludnością żydowską. W końcowych dniach czerwca, w lipcu i sierpniu 1941 r. na terenie pow. grajewskiego działało Einsatzkommando 8, dowodzone przez Karla Strohammera- Grupa morderców z tego oddziału wymordowała ludność żydowską Radziłowa. Pewnego dnia przyjechali tam samochodami ciężarowymi. Wypędzali z domów na rynek wszystkich Żydów: mężczyzn, kobiety i dzieci. Zebranych ludzi zaprowadzili do stodoły Sutkowskiego. Drzwi stodoły zamknięto, budynek oblano benzyną i podpalono. Rozległ się potworny krzyk żywcem palonych ludzi. Zginęło około 650 osób. Miejsce kaźni upamiętnia tablica. Na cmentarzu znajdują się mogiły żołnierzy polskich.

W sierpniu 1941 r. utworzony został Amtskomisariat Radziłów, po przekazaniu administracji cywilnej terenów zajętych przez Wehrmacht. Amtskomisarzem był Berth, jego zastępcą do spraw rolnych Schu1z. Żandarmerią dowodził Otto Wider pochodzący z Magdeburga. Jego podkomendnymi byli: Josef Starck, z zawodu stolarz, Hans Starościak, z zawodu krawiec, Hans Hóhn, Hille - pochodzący z Sudetów i Simnowitz. Nazwisk dalszych żandarmów z posterunku w Radziłowie nie udało się ustalić.Zamordowali oni na obszarach amtskomisariatu co najmniej 26 osób, zabrali do więzień i obozów 49 osób, przy czym aż 27 utraciło życie w katowniach hitlerowskich. Na roboty przymusowe do III Rzeszy i na kopanie okopów deportowano 119 osób, z czego zginęło w Niemczech 12 osób.A oto kilka przykładów zbrodni popełnionych przez żandarmerię. W 1943 r. żandarmi Hans Hóhn i Hans Starościak zamordowali Adama Zalca ze Szczuczyna. 22 lipca 1944 r. żandarmi Hóhn oraz Josef Starck, zatrzymali na moście w Dzierwanach Antoniego Brzostowskiego z Rydzewa Pieniążek. Przewieżli go następnie wraz z bratem Aleksandrem do Radziłowa i rozstrzelali na żwirowni.W 1943 r., przy drodze prowadzącej z Radziłowa do Karwowa, zamordowali 2 jeńców radzieckich o nieznanych nazwiskach. Natomiast 9 lipca 1944 r. na szosie za wsią Żebry zamordowali Jana Sierbińskiego, lat 18, Józefa Karwowskiego, lat 40, rolinika i Maksyma Jonkajtysa, lat 30, nauczyciela ze Szczuczyna. Zwłoki zakopali na miejscu zbrodni i dopiero po wojnie odkopano je i przeniesiono na cmentarze w Wąsoszu i Szczuczynie.Najsilniej jednak bestialstwo żandarmów z Radziłowa uzewnętrzniło się w trakcie rozprawy nad rodziną Czarneckich ze Słucza. Zabierając Czarneckich z mieszkania kazali im spakować bagaż podręczny twierdząc, że zostaną oni ewakuowani. Przewieźli ich samochodem do Radziłowa, przetrzymali przez noc w areszcie, a rankiem wywieźli do lasu koło wsi Żebry, gdzie Kazimierza i Irenę rozstrzelali. Córeczkę Czarneckich - Wandę - liczącą zaledwie rok zamordowali uderzeniami łopaty w głowę. Zwłoki zamordowanych pochowano na miejscu zbrodni.W tej samej miejscowości, tj. we wsi Słucz, uchylający się od robót przymusowych w Niemczech Czesław Lenda, liczący w tym czasie lat 20, dostał się w ręce żandarmów. Skatowali go do tego stopnia, że na skutek doznanych obrażeń zmarł bezpośrednio po pobiciu .Ze Słucza do obozów i więzień zabrali żandarmi 15 mężczyzn, wrócił z nich tylko jeden. Pozostali zginęli w katowniach hitlerowskich. Wśród zamordowanych znaleźli się m.in. kierownik szkoły Władysław Sypniewski, właściciel folwarku Witold Chojnowski i szewc Stanisław Krajewski. Na roboty przymusowe do Niemiec i do kopania okopów zabrano z tej miejscowości co najmniej 39 osób. Spośród nich 6 osób zginęło w Niemczech, 1 zmarła bezpośrednio po powrocie. Ze Słucza żandarmi zabrali ponadto 15 zakładników, których po trzymiesięcznym przetrzymywaniu w więzieniu w Białymstoku zwolniono. Zakładników brano również z innych miejscowości.Ze wsi Mścichy na roboty przymusowe deportowano 54 osoby, przy czym 3 spośród nich zginęły, a 1 zmarła. Masowe wywożenie na roboty do III Rzeszy pozbawiło wieś młodych, najbardziej wartościowych rąk do pracy. Podobne deportacje odbywały się w wielu wsiach.Dnia 21 lipca 1944 r. w Rydzewie Pieniążkach żandarmi z Radziłowa rozstrzelali Tadeusza Wysockiego, lat 17, Apolinarego Petkowskiego, lat 32, Franciszka Samełkę, lat 50, natomiast w grudniu tegoż roku Mieczysława Tomaszewskiego, lat 33, rolnika. Ze wsi Borawskie zamordowano mężczyznę, 2 osoby straciły życie w hitlerowskich obozach koncentracyjnych.

Do niedawna był w Radziłowie barokowy kościół drewniany (z 1793 r.). Został on w 1982 przeniesiony wraz z dzwonnicą z drugiej połowy XVIII w. do pobliskiej wsi Kramarzewo. Obecny murowany kościół o nowoczesnej bryle architektonicznej został wzniesiony w latach 1978-1985. Ma on dwa poziomy, wieżę o wysokości 45 m oraz współczesny wystrój ołtarzy. Jednakże zachowały się w nim zabytkowe stacje drogi krzyżowej.

11 listopada 1990 r. dokonano odsłonięcia odrestaurowanego Pomnika Niepodległości, gdyż z orginału pozostał jedynie obelisk. Orzeł stanowiący jeden z podstawowych elementów zniknął w czasie wojny (według pewnych informacji został on zabrany przez lokalnych komunistów), a tablica została ukryta, ażeby okupanci nie mieli informacji o nazwiskach Legionistów i ich rodzin. Staraniem miejscowej społeczności zawiązany został Komitet Odbudowy Pomnika, w którego skład wchodzili: Franciszek Wysocki, Henryk Karwowski, Ryszard Sosnowski i Józef Trzonkowski. Wygląd zaginionego orła został odtworzony na podstawie informacji zamieszkującego w Warszawie Andrzeja Wiśniewskiego (fundatora tego pomnika w okresie międzywojennym). Doinwestowania całego przedsięwzięcia dokonał wójt gminy - pan Kazimierz Gwiazdowski.

Zabytkowy kościół św.Barbary pochodzi z II połowy XVIII w. Mieszczą się w nim cenne późnogotyckie rzeżby mazowieckie z końca XV w.(św. Jerzy i Zaśnięcie NMP). Bliższe studium tych zabytków wykazuje ich podobieństwo do figur Ołtarza Mariackiego dzieła Wita Stwosza. Stąd przypuszczenie, że rzeźby te być może są dziełem któregoś z licznych uczniów mistrza przybyłego aż do Radziłowa. Być może, że przywieziono je z Krakowa.

Najcenniejszym jednak zabytkiem jest jego układ urbanistyczny, mający charakter wybitnie obronny. Ulice wybiegające z rogów rynku nie są proste, lecz tuż przy wylocie skręcają pod kątem prostym. Miało to na celu wstrzymanie rozpędzonej kawalerii, która wolno wyjeżdżając na rynek nie była już tak groźna dla pieszych mieszczan uzbrojonych w berdysze i topory.

Editor's notes or definitions are entered in [brackets].
(Parentheses) in the translation appear here as they appeared in the original text.

Translated from Polish by: Joanna Goral. Edited by: Roy M. Warshawsky.

   Return to History